The nervous system is the command centre and network that coordinates movement, and all the systems of the body; it allows us to perceive, interpret and respond to our environment. The major components of the nervous system are the brain, spinal cord and nerves.
Common symptoms of neurologic problems include seizures, tremors, loss of balance, decreased responsiveness, weakness, difficulty using the limbs, changes in head/body posture, disorientation, unusual behaviours and walking in circles.
Neurologic problems can be life-threatening and warrant immediate evaluation by a veterinarian. We are going to cover the most common neurologic emergencies in a bit more detail: seizures, traumatic brain injury and spinal cord injury, intoxications affecting the nervous system, IVDD, and vestibular disease.
- Drug Intoxications https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8b_1cSNAj2Q&feature=emb_title
- My Dog is Acting Drunk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c65wQwt2x6c&list=PLZBrTMqP6ffGid_suGt16gcBSCfHkEIR5
- Puppy Eats Drugs- Wobbly And Acting Drunk
- Dogs on Drugs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq0HVl0jHks&list=PLZBrTMqP6ffH5IPQKsJjzWVnyRIev_UVF
- Tea Tree Oil: Is It Safe for Dogs and Cats? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAtT5XXGL5s
- Head Trauma (stepped or kicked by a horse)
- IVDD- Back Pain and Difficulty With Stairs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHD0_vvdPhk&t=11s
- What is Cystocentesis? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKdTuQ-h_Fc&t=24s
TREES PET FIRST AID COURSE! This course is FREE and open to the public. We designed it for pet owners, dog walkers and pet sitters. If you pass the quiz at the end you can get a First Aid Certificate. Take notes and leave your questions and comments below :) Make sure to share with your friends that need to watch this!
Here are the 3 best pieces of advice from the emergency vet that could save your pet's life:
1) DON'T WAIT TOO LONG TO GET HELP! If you wait too long, it could be too late. This is especially true for concerns such as laboured breathing, pale gums and weakness. You know your pet best, so if you are worried or concerned, "when in doubt, check it out!"
2) PREVENT THE PREVENTABLE. Learn as much as possible about dangers that face your pet, such as household poisons, seemingly harmless objects (such as toys, clothing, garbage and rocks), other animals, and vehicles. Pets are like toddlers and they need a responsible adult/babysitter to protect them from danger. Puppies and kittens need to start their vaccines at 8 WEEKS (and they need boosters too!) to protect them from deadly diseases.
3) BE PREPARED FOR THE WORST CASE SCENARIO. Have a plan in place, know your nearest emergency clinic, have the ASPCA phone number on speed dial. Know basic first aid training and CPR. But MOST IMPORTANTLY, BE FINANCIALLY PREPARED. The cost of medical treatment in an emergency, and the owners' ability to pay for it, is probably the most important factor that determines whether a pet will receive the medical care it needs. The best way to protect yourself is to have good medical insurance for your pet. Do your research.
**REMEMBER**: WE ARE ALL ON THE SAME TEAM, with the best interest of the patient as everyone's first priority. Let your vet do what he/she does best, and don't try to grab the steering wheel and obstruct your vet from doing his/her job. We are all in the same car, we are all headed to the same place, but only one of us has the driver's license (meaning, only the vet has the medical training and background to "drive the car").
Please remember to spay/ neuter your pet, and to donate to your local animal shelter- they really need your help!
-ASPCA Animal Poison Control: Hotline: (888) 426-4435
-PREVENTIVE HEALTH IN PUPPIES
-Meet “Oliver” https://snoopandlove.org/2019/11/06/meet-oliver/
-IS PET INSURANCE WORTH IT? http://twintreesvet.com/2015/12/11/pet-insurance-worth/
-MEDICAL INSURANCE SAVES LIVES: http://twintreesvet.com/2019/09/12/medical-insurance-saves-lives/
-THINGS TO CONSIDER BEFORE GETTING A PET: https://twintreesvet.com/2019/09/14/things-to-consid%e2%80%a6re-getting-a-pet/
ASK YOUR QUESTION ON TWIN TREES VET TALK! Have a quick question? Want to run something by us? Or just need our two cents? This is your chance! Enter your questions here: http://twintreesvet.com/vet-talk/ and each week we will select a handful of questions to answer.
Meet more CUTE PATIENTS! Connect with us online:
-Subscribe to our YOUTUBE channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_vwGuBk7EYKg5GnhkHKVbg/?fbclid=IwAR0yYTFrvErDPjmHLHaGVxkMhqEu7ze1g6VVd7LRAsvjRFzhQNHldrAUWy0
-Visit our WEBSITE: http://www.twintreesvet.com
-Follow us on INSTAGRAM: instagram.com/twintreesvet/
- Like us on FACEBOOK: facebook.com/twintreesvet/