Everyone loves a beautiful bouquet of flowers. But it is all fun and games (or with flowers- a thoughtful gesture) until somebody gets hurt. Did you know that many species of lilies are toxic to cats?


With Easter and Mother’s Day just around the corner, a hidden danger will soon be making its way into millions of households across North America. 

Among the most dangerous:
  • Easter lily
  • Asiatic lilies
  • Day Lilies
  • Peace Lilies
  • Lily of the valley
  • tiger lily
  • Japanese show lily
  • stargazer lily
  • rubric
  • day lily


Just a little nibble from a leaf or petal can put your feline friend in the hospital with kidney failure (also called acute kidney injury)- even the pollen and vase water are potentially dangerous.

Treatment for lily toxicosis usually involves at least 2-3 days in the hospital, with IV fluid support. If you believe that your cat has ingested a lily, it is best get help right away. You can start by calling a pet poisoning helpline (ASPCA Animal Poison Control,  Pet Poison Helpline) or you can see your vet right away. 
Cats with lily poisoning have a better chance of recovering if treatment is started within the first 18 hours. Sadly, some cats will even die in spite of treatment.

Fletcher is relaxed because he knows there are no poisonous plants in his home

They say an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. So the best thing you can do is to make sure that the flowers you bring home are not a a danger to your cat. 

You can find more information about lilies and other type of plants that are poisonous to your pets here:
This poisonous plant may kill your cat this Easter holiday | Dr. Justine Lee  a Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

Poisonous Plants for Dogs and Cats  (a great resource for pet owners)

Now, what exactly is “[Acute] Kidney Failure? BluePearl, a veterinary emergency hospital chain,  breaks it down for you nicely here: Acute Kidney Injury     Keep Calm Cats


Stardust licking her chops. She loves to munch on cat friendly plants