Doggo Ate a Sock

This sweet little Chocolate Lab ate a sock about an hour ago. He has a bad habit of eating socks and toys. He is only 4 years old and he has already had two surgeries to remove objects that became stuck in his intestines. Since he just ate the sock less than an hour ago, we hope that we can retrieve the sock from his stomach by inducing vomiting...before it travels too far along the gastrointestinal tract where it could become stuck and cause an obstruction. In the ER we usually use an intravenous medication to induce vomiting. It goes directly into the vein and it usually works right away. Luckily, we were successful in retrieving the sock before it had a chance to cause a problem.

It is best to always consult with a vet before inducing vomiting. Some breeds (brachycephalic/ squished face dogs like Bulldogs, Frenchies, Boston Terriers, Pugs, etc.) are at higher risk for aspiration pneumonia when they vomit.

Remember to keep objects like toys and clothing out of reach of pets that might eat them!