FOR EMERGENCIES CALL 604 962 0838

ON-CALL FOR EMERGENCIES: WED-SAT 5PM-8AM & SUN 24 HOURS (UNTIL MIDNIGHT) / CLOSED: MON & TUES

BBQ Dangers

We love a good BBQ on sunny days, but landing in the ER is never a good way to end a party. We see lots of pets on emergency after summer parties and BBQs, and most of the time this could have been avoided.

⁠⠀⁠⠀

THE MOST COMMON BBQ CULPRITS?
Corn cobs and peach pits (can become stuck in the intestine and may require surgery to remove). We have even seen dogs swallow whole metal BBQ skewers, and rib bones that were sharp as knives.

Toxins: recreational drugs, grapes& raisins (cause kidney failure), sugar-free gum and desserts (the artificial sweetener, xylitol is VERY toxic to dogs and can cause liver failure), and onions (can cause hemolytic anemia in dogs).

Some tips to keep your pet safe:

BE CAREFUL WITH ᗷOᑎEᔕ⁠:
Some dogs never have a problem with bones, but lots end up in the ER. We see dogs getting bones lodged in their esophagus (if the esophagus perforates, it is a 10/10 emergency), dogs getting marrow bones stuck on their lower jaw, and all kinds of upset tummies (who wants to be up with vomiting and diarrhea all night? No thanks.)


EᔕTᗩᗷᒪIᔕᕼ ᗷOᑌᑎᗪᗩᖇIEᔕ⁠⠀
No dogs in the kitchen!⁠

KEEᑭ Tᖇᗩᔕᕼ OᑌT Oᖴ ᖇEᗩᑕᕼ⁠⠀
Garbage, batteries, corn cobs, matches and kebab skewers can be create unwanted problems if your pet gets hold of them.⁠

Beware: empty plastic bags (such as potato chip bags) can lead to suffocation. See our post this here: Plastic Bags: A Household Hazard

ᗪOᑎ’T ᗩᒪᒪOᗯ YOᑌᖇ GᑌEᔕTᔕ TO ᔕᕼᗩᖇE ᔕᑕᖇᗩᑭᔕ ᗯITᕼ YOᑌᖇ ᗪOG⁠⠀
A drastic change of diet may give your pet digestive ailments. Also, a lot of people who don’t have dogs don’t know what is safe and what isn’t. You never want to be the person who accidentally poisoned your friend’s dog;)
⁠⠀

Happy and safe BBQing!⁠⠀For general safety, ask guests not to feed your dog scraps, supervise kids around dogs, use lidded receptacles and keep dogs out of the trash. Also, don’t feed your dog bones!  in particular are a major health hazard, as they splinter easily. They can cause serious obstructions and other difficulties if consumed